In 2009, Snider Hockey introduced the Champions Program. The Champions Program aims to further the mission of the Ed Snider Youth Hockey Foundation through the encouragement of academic, character, and athletic development by:
- Keeping students motivated and focused on striving for success
- Acting as a safety net to provide students with a support network, should they require help, advice, or encouragement in any aspect of their lives
- Recognizing achievement and rewarding outstanding efforts with opportunities to participate in Snider Hockey’s special events
Players who show a commitment to the ideals of Snider Hockey are invited by their coaches to apply to the Champions Program. Together, the coach and student will create SMART goals for the student to work toward achieving. At Snider Hockey, we believe (and have seen first-hand) that creating and accomplishing short-term goals is a worthwhile endeavor for our students.
The Champions Program will allow our students to set realistic goals, use time management skills, practice effective communication and give them a sense of accomplishment when they have reached their goal. The Champions Program will help lay a foundation for students to build upon in the future, whether this is in the classroom, on the ice or in a professional setting, these lessons will help Snider Hockey students achieve success wherever they go.
Some recent Champions Challenges:
- A 10th grader worked with one of Snider Hockey’s academic advisors to develop a personalized college "road map" that laid out important milestones in the college preparation and application process
- An 11th grader visited several senior citizens in his community on a weekly basis to help with errands and spend time with them
- A 5th grader committed to reading 15 minutes a day above and beyond his required school reading. In 3 months he raised his reading level from a 3rd grade to a 5th grade level
- A 9th grader researched and wrote about off-ice training techniques, created his own summer program and tracked his daily progress in a log
Those players who successfully complete a Champions Challenge join a select team of other Champions, and are presented with a special jersey recognizing their accomplishments. Champions are eligible to enjoy unique experiences:
- Special Trips
- Meeting NHL players
- Attending Philadelphia Flyers games
Most importantly, Champions participate in regular assignments that continue to support their athletic, academic, and character development.